Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

This is the first installment of the book series the HBO television series "True Blood" is based upon. The first book introduces us to Sookie Stackhouse, a southern girl with what she coins a "disability". Sookie lives in a Bon Temps, Louisiana in a time where vampires have finally decided to "come out of the coffin". When Sookie finally meets (and saves) a vampire, Bill, her entire world begins to change. Vampires. Murder. Mystery. What isn't there to enjoy?

Quite a bit, actually.
I watched the first season and the majority of the second season of "True Blood" long before I picked up this novel. I started reading it once in Books-a-Million but found the writing style to be horrendous and lost interest in it. Though, seeing the writing style, it made me realize that the television show -- which also has horrendous writing -- didn't butcher the novel(s) as I had originally thought.

Once you look past the writing, whether in book or novel form, the story is at least interesting. The show gets rather ridiculous fast, which makes me wonder if I'll ever bother with the rest of the written series, but it sucks you in completely. This is a vampire soap opera -- that's the best way I can explain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment