Monday, June 14, 2010

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I loved this book, though I didn't think I would. The writing is captivating and intriguing, leaving me to wonder about the characters even when the book was not in hand.

If I were a history buff, I would hate this, I totally see that. I went to Wikipedia and read through the historical inaccuracies and there are quite a few and all a big deal to the story. But I wasn't reading this book to learn about history. I realize that most historical fiction books take a small detail and just go with it. Yes, they do research but most authors will strictly stay away from the books whose findings would go against the story they would want to write.

As I said, I wasn't researching history: I was interested in the story Gregory concocted.

I could have used 50 more pages, though. I see why it ended the way it did and I actually enjoyed that. At the same time, though, I was interested in (fictional) Mary's story. I wanted to read more about her life after this last event. I wanted to read about them going back to their home, children in tow, and how their life was. I found (fictional) Mary to be a wonderful character and fell in love with her without even realizing it.

Overall, inaccuracies aside, I found this book to be interesting, captivating and kinda trashy all in one. The characters sprang up from the pages for me, vivid in my mind. It's the day after I completed the novel and I still see them every now and then. It was an addicting story and I'm happy to have read it. 


Whether or not I'll read any of her other books, though, I cannot decide. I did find one of her other books at a used bookstore that I'm planning on going back to today. I have a handful of books from school I'd like to get rid of and they give store credit when books are brought in. I'm sure I'll come home a few more books richer and will hopefully have a place for said books.

No comments:

Post a Comment