Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday



The Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read


  1. Pride and Prejudice :: Or really, classics in general. I love reading but I have such a hard time getting through this book and others like it. I'm under the impression I will have to audio book these classic novels someday, just so I can check them off my list.
  2. 1984 :: I've started this numerous times, I've just never been able to get into it. One day....
  3. The Hobbit + Lord of the Rings :: Again, these are books that I would consider a Must Read for anyone who loves literature. 
  4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :: I've read the first chapter. It's amazing, or so I've been told, but I don't see it. 
  5. The Vampire Chronicles :: These are books I've heard about for my entire life. I've read other work by Anne Rice and was able to get through it, but these books are just too difficult. Actually, it isn't the books that are difficult. Louis is difficult and I refuse to read the rest without reading the first. I'm currently working my way through Interview With a Vampire. Very slooowly.
  6. Anything by Mark Twain :: I don't know how I've gone twenty-three years without encountering a novel, but I've somehow succeeded. Everyone else I know had to read at least something for school, but I somehow missed out on it.
  7. The Fountainhead :: I include this only because I've been wanting to read a Ayn Rand book for a while now and just never had the chance. I found this one for $.50 at Goodwill once and bought it. Maybe one day I can knock this one of this list.
  8. The Jungle Book :: I feel like this was something I should have read years ago. For someone who loves literature as much as I do, I've really missed out on a lot of things....
  9. Memoirs of a Geisha :: I've owned this one for years. It just keeps getting moved from shelf to shelf as I move from place to place without ever being picked up.
  10. Jane Eyre :: I've talked to a lot of people who do not necessarily enjoy "classics" but love this book. Maybe I should give it a shot instead of trying to jump headfirst into the classical genre.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Allie,
    I felt the same way about Jane Eyre until recently, but I actually really enjoyed it, if you can get through the first couple of chapters. The Jungle Book I think you can do without, if you've watched the film :)
    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read two on your list! So don't feel alone :)

    Here is mine: http://lusbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/top-ten-tuesday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing that helped me really get into classics was watching the movie first. Sometimes it's easy to get hung up on the language and miss the story, movies help with that. :)

    LOTR is on my list too...seems to be on a few, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndsey, Jane Eyre is on my TBR list for this year. I'm hoping to eventually get around to it but I keep buying books that distract me from my original TBR list =]

    Lu, thank you for stopping by! I enjoy your blog and am now following you =]

    Melody, that's a good idea! I'll have to give that a go sometime. And yes, I've noticed that, as well, about LOTR. Makes me feel better about it haha =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book and I loved Jane Eyre as well. As classics go, they're probably the more easy ones to get into.
    I'm the same with Memoirs of a Geisha, I can't seem to pick it up and start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisy, that's really good to know! I'll most definitely be giving Jane Eyre a read this year. I'll have to give Pride and Prejudice a shot, as well, sometime =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some good books. Definitely must-reads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicky, I do plan on reading most of them. In fact, at least half of this list was made just by me glancing at one of my bookshelves!

    I've at least started most of them and just been unable to get into them. But I would love to knock all of these off at some point! =]=]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, when I read your "Anything by Mark Twain" my immediate reaction was his books are on the "Top Ten List of Books I wouldn't read even if you paid me a million dollars because of pent up resentment and frustration"

    I was forced to read Huck Finn. Hated it with a passion. Though I stumbled upon a PBS special that told me that Mr. Twain hated it too and I didn't feel as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia, I dunno if I will ever bother. Especially with learning your sentiment towards the man, haha =]=]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah. It's hard for me to force myself to read things I am supposed to like as a cultured reader. Going into it with an "I hate this" mindset isn't going to help anything.

    I may try Twain's short stories though. The PBS special made him seem like a cool person IRL. haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pride and Prejudice and Memoirs of a Geisha are very worth it. Memoirs can get a little frustrating, but it's very engrossing. And, well, like you said, P&P is a classic, but it's a funny, engaging one.

    I need to read Jane Eyre, and 1984, too. I don't think I'll ever get through LotR, though. Oh, and the Vamp Chronicles...well, they're wordy as hell. But I guess if you can get through that part, they're interesting enough. (I'd just go with the IwtV movie, lol. I recall the movie being pretty spot on, some casting issues aside...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark Twain's books (Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn) were the first assigned readings that really wowed me. Tom Sawyer wowed me from the git-go.

    ReplyDelete